For many, it is still a nightmare to own a website because they feel it involves investing a lot of money in purchasing a domain for a WordPress website and purchasing a hosting package for it, while few fear it to be coding-related and they cannot afford it. But one must look into the reality that a website is meant to show off or boast of a brand, rather it is a necessity. Also, Purchasing a domain for a WordPress website is not rocket science that people have to fear about it. There are many good domain providers available who extend their service all over the world and today in this article, we are going to explore choosing the right domain for a WordPress website and the list of available providers which will be useful after you create a website using WordPress.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Prominence of a Domain Name: Domain for a WordPress Website
- 2 Key Factors to Consider While Choosing Your Domain for a WordPress Website:
- 3 A Complete Overview of Top 5 Domain Providers
The Prominence of a Domain Name: Domain for a WordPress Website
The simplest definition of a Domain is nothing but an online address. Indeed, it is your digital calling card. For instance, when a person asks you where is your house located you tell him the apartment name or colony name to specify where it is located. Similarly, when someone wants to visit where your website is located, then it is the web address that you give (it is the domain).
Let us consider the live example that you already have before your eyes. The content that you are reading now is available on this website (www.gofski.com is the Domain that acts as the web address too).
A Domain name is the first point of contact between you and your audience so here are a few compelling reasons why it is important to choose the right domain:
When visitors land on your website the first & foremost thing they encounter is your domain name. A catchy name that could stay in visitors’ minds will obviously have a positive impression and be the best of its kind in the long run too.
Your domain takes your brand identity to the next level. In fact, it is a much-needed extension in your career either for your business or building your personal image.
What matters here the most is the Domain name aligning in sync with your Brand name. In simple words, the visitor must be able to clearly understand the purpose of your website with the domain name.
A Domain name is a Powerful branding in itself!
SEO and Visibility:
Now comes the main part which is when Popular search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, Yandex, etc show your website in search results, and for that, they consider the domain name while ranking the websites.
A domain name that is very relevant to your website & content as well as having a keyword in itself can significantly boost your site and make it rank higher in the SERP (Known as Search Engine Results Pages). Naturally, this will also attract more organic traffic.
Trust and Credibility:
Visitors usually tend to engage more with a website that has a reliable and credible domain name. So it is very important to choose a name that adds professionalism as well as Trustworthiness.
Marketing and Promotion:
When your website name gets featured in any sort of advertisements, social media profiles & pages, business cards, or any other promotional material, then that is seen as the best strategy for marketing and promotional growth of your brand.
Key Factors to Consider While Choosing Your Domain for a WordPress Website:
You need to select a perfect domain name for a WordPress website by considering various factors that include:
- Generic TLDs (.com, .net, .org): These are the most popular and trusted Top Level Domains(TLDs). The recognition with “.com” is most often used for business websites. The domain with “.org” is used for non-profit websites that include NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations) and the domain with “.net” is used for websites that provide services such as the internet, website hosting, and database collection.
- Domain name length: Shorter domain names can be easily remembered and typed. To make your domain rank on the top page, ensure that it has a shorter name with easier spellings that are free from hyphens and characters.
- TLDs with country codes (.us,.uk,.ca,.in): If a website targets a particular country or region, a country code TLD can assist with local SEO. For instance, if you type Disney Plus Hotstar on Google, you will be redirected to the website with the “.in” domain. (https://www.hotstar.com/in) .Another example includes the world’s leading search engine Google (https://www.google.co.in/)
- Brand: Your domain should represent your brand by using your business name or a variant of it.
- Domain’s Past: You need to avoid domains with a problematic past that is connected with spam or malware.
- Avoiding Trademark Issues: It is mandatory to conduct detailed trademark research before selecting a domain name. Comprehensive research guarantees that the domain name does not hold any infringement on any individual’s intellectual property. Trademark issues may cause disputes that may lead to damage to your brand and costly penalties.
A Complete Overview of Top 5 Domain Providers
After discussing the important factors of choosing a domain for a WordPress website, it is important to know the industry’s leading domain providers that are most often equipped with additional features such as hosting and website development tools.
Additionally, we will be discussing the advantages and limitations that set them apart from other top competitors by listing out the top 5 domain providers:
“NameCheap”, as the name itself indicates offers domain registration services at a low cost and provides the best customer service. Namecheap has earned a great reputation in business for more than two decades (23 years).
- Reasonable pricing: Namecheap justifies its name by providing domain registration services at the best price including the free domain privacy protection.
- Excellent 24/7 Customer Support: Namecheap most often prioritizes offering the best customer support via 24/7 live chat and email along with the most acceptable solutions provided.
- Domain Privacy for free: Namecheap provides WHOIS privacy protection. With WHOIS privacy protection for qualified domains, you can keep your personal information private.
- Limited Hosting: Individuals searching for the best hosting services need to find an alternative. This is because Namecheap does not provide effective hosting services when compared to the domain registration services provided.
- No UPI Payments: NameCheap doesn’t support any UPI payments for Indian users, which is a major drawback.
GoDaddy is one of the most recognized names in domain registration as well as web-hosting platforms with more than 20 million clients all over the world. Godaddy has established itself as one of the most responsible and user-friendly platforms.
- Expansive TDS Selection: You can find the ideal domain according to your requirements as GoDaddy provides a multifarious choice of domain extensions.
- User-Friendly Interface: Beginners as well as experienced users find the domain registration and management process simpler with the user-friendly interface of GoDaddy.
- Website: GoDaddy offers web hosting, website creation tools, and email services, making it a one-stop solution for all your online requirements.
- Overpricing: Though frequent promotions and discounts are offered by GoDaddy, there are certain customers who might find their standard pricing slightly higher than others.
- Upselling: Based on the personal experience of some users, GoDaddy pushes beyond its limits in upselling additional services throughout the checkout process.
Hostgator is a well-renowned hosting company that also provides domain registration services. Hostgator has a solid foundation in hosting businesses and offering a variety of dependable services to a broad range of customers.
- Hosting Services: Hostgator provides a multiple numbers of hosting plans in addition to the domain registration that includes dedicated hosting and shared VPS(Virtual Private Server)
- User-Friendly interface: The user-friendly platform by HostGator guides beginners to register and manage domains in a simpler manner.
- Reasonable Price: HostGator offers reasonable pricing and continually conducts the best deals and discounts, making them an inexpensive alternative for domain registration and hosting services.
- Upselling: Users who want to gain a simple experience may observe upselling during the entire checkout process which can prove to be an aggravating factor.
- Higher renewal fees: Despite the domain registration fees may seem to be reasonable, the renewal fees can be higher which is similar to the service offered by other domain providers.
Bluehost provides domain registration services which is a popular choice among WordPress users as it provides smooth integration with WordPress platforms. Bluehost is one of the reputed hosting providers that is highly recommended by WordPress.org.
- WordPress Integration: Bluehost provides simple WordPress integration that is recommended by WordPress.org and provides the best solution for WordPress users.
- Web Hosting Services: Bluehost also offers web hosting services in addition to domain registration that provides easier maintenance of websites for users.
- Outstanding 24×7 customer service: You can expect exceptional 24×7 customer service via phone calls, chat, and e-mail conversations to provide the most promising solutions in a punctual manner.
- Pricing system:
Though the registration price looks reasonable, many users have personally experienced that the renewal charges of the domain can be higher than predicted.
5. Google Domains:
Google Domains is the domain registration service provided by Google which has gained a reputation across the globe for its simplicity and clear layout. A large number of customers are attracted to the domain registration services provided by Google Domains because of the reputation and the excellent services that make everyone dependable.
- Easy-to-use interface: Beginners find the domain registration services provided by Google Domains in a comfortable and most suitable manner to start with the simple and easy-to-use interface provided.
- No hidden charges: The prices offered are straightforward without any hidden charges
- Other features: Google Domains provides additional features such as free email forwarding, interaction with other Google services like G Suite to use productivity tools of Google, and domain privacy protection.
- No Hosting services: As Google Domains prioritizes domain registration services, individuals seeking the best hosting services need to find an alternative option.
- Limited offers: Google Domains does not conduct any special deals or discounts on a regular basis compared to other top-competitive domain providers.
The above-mentioned top domain providers have their own advantages and limitations which make them suitable for different users according to their convenience and can satisfy every individual’s demands based on the reasonable price, customer support, hosting services, or easy-to-use interface provided by the particular domain.