Virat Kohli and KL Rahul proved to be too tough to handle for the Aussies during the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023 on 8th October, as the duo-partnership steered India to a 6-wicket win against Australia despite the tough batting conditions of the pitch at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai.
Team India overcame the tough challenges against Australia at the start of the 2nd innings of the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023, with the brilliant show of the middle-order batsmen which will be discussed along with many interesting stats in detail…
Table of Contents
- 1 Kohli-Rahul too tough to handle for Aussies: What was the Playing XI for the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
- 2 Kohli-Rahul too tough to handle for Aussies: Interesting Highlights of IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
- 3 Indian Cricket Team Ranking on the Points Table after IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
- 4 Sachin Tendulkar’s Opinion About Virat-Kohli and KL Rahul’s Partnership: IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
- 5 IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023: Decoding Australia’s score of 199-10 in 49.3 overs
- 6 IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023: Decoding India’s score of 201-4 in 41.2 overs
- 7 Kohli-Rahul Too Tough to Handle for Aussies: Interesting Facts and Records about the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
Kohli-Rahul too tough to handle for Aussies: What was the Playing XI for the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
India Playing XI:
- Rohit Sharma (Captain): Batsman
- Ishan Kishan: Batsman and Wicket-Keeper
- Virat Kohli : Batsman
- Shreyas Iyer: Batsman
- KL Rahul: Batsman and Wicket-Keeper
- Hardik Pandya:All-rounder
- Ravindra Jadeja: All-rounder
- Ravichandran Ashwin: All-rounder
- Kuldeep Yadav: Bowler
- Jasprit Bumrah: Bowler
- Mohammed Siraj: Bowler
Australia Playing XI:
- David Warner: Batsman
- Mitchell Marsh: All-rounder
- Steven Smith: Batsman
- Marnus Labuschagne: All-rounder
- Glenn Maxwell: All-rounder
- Alex Carey: Batsman and Wicket-Keeper
- Cameron Green: All-rounder
- Pat Cummins (Captain): Bowler
- Mitchell Starc: Bowler
- Adam Zampa: Bowler
- Josh Hazlewood: Bowler
After surveying the above playing XI of IND vs AUS 5th Match CWC 2023, here are the interesting facts to know:
- Australia played with a massive combination of 5-all rounders, while India played with only 3-all rounders.
- India played with a combination of both wicket-keepers: Ishan Kishan and KL Rahul, whereas Australia decided to play with only a single wicket-keeper: Alex Carey.
- Both the Indian and Australian bowling attacks included a combination of 3-fast and spin bowlers( including the all-rounders).
Kohli-Rahul too tough to handle for Aussies: Interesting Highlights of IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
Australian skipper Pat Cummins decided to bat first after winning the toss and scrutinizing the pitch conditions at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, which tends to slow down during the 2nd-half of the innings.
Also, teams batting 2nd at this venue have won only a few matches under the tough batting conditions.
The Australians were unable to face the intense bowling attack of the Indian bowlers, as David Warner (41 runs from 52 balls- including 6 fours) and Steven Smith ( 46 runs from 71 balls- including 5 fours) were the top-scoring batsmen for Australia.
Mitchell Starc’s supportive knock of 28 runs from 35 balls ( including 2 fours and 1 six) helped his team post a total of 199-10 in 49.3 overs, thereby setting a target of 200 in 50 overs against India.
Here are the excellent bowling figures of the Indian bowlers in IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023:
- Ravindra Jadeja’s excellent spell of 28-3 in 10 overs ( including 2 maiden overs) – Comprises the important wickets of Australian destructive batsmen such as Steven Smith, Alex Carey, and Marnus Labuschagne.
- Kuldeep Yadav’s important spell of 42-2 in 10 overs– includes the crucial wickets of Australian destructive-opening Batsman: David Warner, and the best Game Changer of the match: Glenn Maxwell
- Jasprit Bumrah’s bowling performance of 35-2 in 10 overs.
- Mohammed Siraj (26-1 in 6.3 overs), Hardik Pandya ( 28-1 in 3 overs) and Ravichandran Ashwin (34-1 in 10 overs) are the three Indian bowlers who each took a wicket of the Australian batsmen.
India’s start to the 2nd innings with the bat proved to be favorable for the Australian bowlers initially by losing 3 early wickets of the best Indian batsmen such as Ishan Kishan ( 0 from 1 ball) at 2-1 in 0.4 overs, Rohit Sharma (0 from 6 balls) at 2-2 in 1.3 overs and Shreyas Iyer ( 0 from 3 balls) at 2-3 in 1.5 overs.
Australian Bowlers Josh Hazlewood took 2 wickets and Mitchell Starc took a single wicket during the start of the 2nd innings to make the situation much more favorable.
At 2-3 in 1.5 overs of the match, it was a pressurized moment for Virat Kohli and KL Rahul to ensure that their team reached a winning total of 200 runs within 50 overs under the tough pitch conditions and challenging bowling attack of the Australian Bowlers.
Virat Kohli when he was at 12 runs, was assured of playing a responsible game after he was dropped by Mitchell Marsh which proved to be the turning point of the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023.
After a collapsing start for India with the bat, Virat Kohli and KL Rahul ensured to maintain a consistent partnership by initially focussing on singles and doubles rather than scoring many runs through the boundaries.
India managed to score 27-3 in the first 10 overs of the powerplay which was diminutive compared to Australia’s powerplay score of 43-1 in 10 overs.
Virat Kohli and KL Rahul guaranteed not to play any aggressive shots till the completion of their half-centuries to maintain a partnership of more than 100 runs.
The 165-run partnership of 215 balls between Virat Kohli and KL Rahul changed the feeling of every Indian cricket fan from anxiety to entertainment mode by guaranteeing that India reached the winning total with ease.
Virat Kohli – The Chase Master, was finally dismissed by Josh Hazlewood at 167-4 in 37.4 overs of the match after scoring a crucial knock of 85 runs from 116 balls ( including 6 fours) and fell short of 15 runs to reach his 48th ODI century.
Though Australians were successful in taking the crucial wicket of Virat Kohli, the situation was out of control as the chase master had accomplished his task by ensuring his team was closer to a winning total with just 23 runs required from 74 balls.
KL Rahul’s unbeaten knock of 97 runs from 115 balls ( including 8 fours and 2 sixes) along with Hardik Pandya (11 runs from 8 balls- including 1 six), successfully chased the target as India scored 201-4 in 41.2 overs with a six wickets win and more than 9 overs to spare.
KL Rahul was granted the man-of-the-match award for delivering a crucial performance along with Virat Kohli in the tough batting conditions against Australia.
Team India starts off their ICC World Cup 2023 campaign with a tough-fighting competition against Australia and registers their first win of this tournament.
Indian Cricket Team Ranking on the Points Table after IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
Here is the ranking of the Indian cricket team on the points table of ICC World Cup 2023 along with other teams after playing each match against their opposition:
|Ranking||Teams||Matches Played||Matches won||Matches Lost||Matches Tied||NO Result||Points scored after winning each match||Net-Run-Rate (NRR)|
After the events of the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023, the Indian cricket team ranks at the 5th position of the points table.
***IMPORTANT NOTE***: The position of each team may change depending on the result in the forthcoming matches.
Sachin Tendulkar’s Opinion About Virat-Kohli and KL Rahul’s Partnership: IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
Former legendary Indian cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar- The Master Blaster, showered praises on the partnership between Virat Kohli and KL Rahul.
Sachin Tendulkar expressed his joyful moments stating that he was impressed with the Indian team restricting Australia to 199 and the steady partnership of 165 runs between Virat Kohli and KL Rahul by taking their own time to settle against the opposition, which sealed the first win for India in this tournament.
Also, Sachin Tendulkar voiced his opinion about the execution of superb shots from Virat Kohli and KL Rahul with perfect timing.
Sachin Tendulkar conveyed his hearty congrats to Team India for winning their first match of the ICC World Cup 2023 under the challenging batting conditions.
IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023: Decoding Australia’s score of 199-10 in 49.3 overs
Here is the detailed breakdown of Australia’s 1st innings score of 199-10 in 49.3 overs split into 10 overs intervals:
- 0 to 10 overs: 43-1
- 10 to 20 overs: 42-1 ( Australia’s score at 20 overs: 85-2)
- 20 to 30 overs: 34-3( Australia’s score at 30 overs: 119-5)
- 30 to 40 overs: 37-2( Australia’s score at 40 overs: 156-7)
- 40 to 50 overs: 43-3( Australia’s score at 49.3 overs: 199-10)
From the above analysis, Australia scored a maximum number of 43 runs in the first 10 overs by losing 1 wicket as well as 43 runs scored from the last 10 overs by losing 3 wickets. On the other side, Australia scored a minimum number of 34 runs by losing 3 wickets between 20 to 30 overs.
IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023: Decoding India’s score of 201-4 in 41.2 overs
Here is the breakdown of India’s 2nd innings score of 201-4 in 41.2 overs split into 10 overs intervals:
- 0 to 10 overs: 27-3
- 10 to 20 overs: 53-0 ( India’s score at 20 overs: 80-3)
- 20 to 30 overs: 40-0( India’s score at 30 overs: 120-3)
- 30 to 40 overs: 62-1( India’s score at 40 overs: 182-4)
- 40 to 50 overs: 19-0( India’s score at 44.5overs: 201-4)
From the above information, it is clear that India scored a minimum number of 27 runs during the first 10 overs by losing 3 quick wickets and scored a maximum number of 62 runs between 30 to 40 overs by losing a single wicket.
Kohli-Rahul Too Tough to Handle for Aussies: Interesting Facts and Records about the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023
Here are the interesting facts you need to know from the IND vs AUS 5th match CWC 2023:
- India won 5 out of 13 matches against Australia in ICC World Cup Matches- Batting First (3 matches) and Batting Second (2 matches).
- KL Rahul (*97 runs) is the 2nd Highest scoring Indian wicket-keeper in ICC World Cup Matches following the former Indian skipper Rahul Dravid (145 runs) in 1999 against Sri Lanka.
- The score of 2-3 is the lowest figure for the Indian cricket team in World Cup matches at the fall of the 3rd wicket.
- India won their match against the opposition in World Cup matches with the lowest scores at the fall of the 3rd wicket
- Indian spin bowlers grabbed 6 wickets of the Australian batsmen in 30 overs by giving 104 runs. Whereas, the Australian spin bowlers couldn’t clutch a single wicket of the Indian batsmen by conceding 86 runs in 16 overs.
- This is the first time Australia has lost to its opposition playing 4 times at Chennai since 1987- including 3 Wins and 1 Loss.
- KL Rahul (*97 runs) is the 3rd Highest scoring Indian Batsmen against Australia in World Cup matches following Shikhar Dhawan (117 runs) in 2019 and Ajay Jadeja(*100 runs) in 1999.
- Virat Kohli scores the most number of half-centuries in ODIs as a non-opening batsman with a record of 113 international fifties.
- Virat Kohli ranks at the 10th position in the list of highest-scoring international batsmen in ICC World Cup matches.
- This is the first time, Australia lost its opening match against the opposition in this 21st century of ICC World Cup tournaments- Including 5 wins and 1 Loss ( Total: 6 Matches).
- India has won 5 out of 6 opening matches of ICC World Cup tournaments in this 21st century.
- India scored its 2nd lowest powerplay score of 27-3 in 10 overs in ICC World Cup matches following the Semi-Finals of IND vs NZ CWC 2023 ( 24-4 in 10 overs).
- Compared to other teams, India ranks at the 16th position in the list of teams with their lowest powerplay scores in World Cup matches.
- Virat Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record by scoring 2785 runs in 64 innings of the ICC limited overs tournament which includes ICC World Cup, ICC Champions Trophy, and ICC T20 World Cup. On the other side, Sachin scored 2719 runs in 58 innings including only the ICC World Cup and ICC Champions Trophy.
- Virat Kohli is the 3rd Indian batsman to score the most number of half-centuries in World Cup matches with a record of 9 international fifties, following Sachin Tendulkar( 21 international fifties in World Cup matches) and Rohit Sharma ( 9 international fifties in World Cup matches)
- Virat Kohli scored 2 centuries and 1 half-century in 3 out of 4 World Cup opening matches.
- The 165-run stand between Virat Kohli and KL Rahul is the 2nd highest partnership for a 4th wicket in World Cup matches following the unbeaten 196-run partnership between MS Dhoni and Raina against Zimbabwe in ICC World Cup 2015.
- The 165-run collaboration between Virat Kohli and KL Rahul is the highest partnership against Australia in World Cup matches.
- Virat Kohli recorded his highest score of 85 runs from 116 balls while chasing against the opposition in World Cup matches.
- Australian Bowler Mitchell Starc is the 5th Highest wicket-taker among international bowlers with a record of 50 wickets in World Cup matches.
- Mitchell Starc takes his 50th wicket in 941 balls which is the highest by any bowler to take 50th wicket in a few balls of World Cup matches.
- Australian Batsman David Warner becomes the fastest to reach 1000 runs in 19 innings of World Cup matches.