King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023 with his unbeaten knock of 103 runs from 97 balls, which included 6 fours and 4 sixes during the IND vs BAN match of ICC World Cup 2023, leading his team to a comfortable 7-wicket win at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune on 20th October 2023 (Thursday).
KL Rahul maintained a 79-run partnership with Virat Kohli and refused to take singles at the non-striker’s end, except on the last ball of the over to ensure that the star batsman achieves his milestone by creating many new records.
Virat Kohli edges towards Sachin Tendulkar’s lifetime record of 49 ODI centuries and the star batsman targets to continue with his consistent form to break the lifetime record of the Master Blaster in the upcoming matches of ICC World Cup 2023 and many ODI series and tournaments.
Virat Kohli once again proves why he is considered the “Chase Master” of limited overs cricket by once again playing a crucial role in making his team reach the winning total against the opposition teams.
Out of the 4 matches played in this tournament, Virat Kohli played an essential role in batting at the No.3 position in chasing targets and scoring two-half centuries against Australia by scoring a crucial knock of 85 runs from 116 balls and a match-finishing performance of 55 runs from 56 balls against Afghanistan. But, the destructive knock of 103 runs against Bangladesh will always remain one of the special innings for Virat Kohli.
Additionally, Virat Kohli broke Sachin Tendulkar’s records as well as achieved many unique records which will be discussed in detail…
Table of Contents
- 1 King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023: Interesting Facts and Stats to be known
- 1.1 1. Fastest Batsman to reach 26,000 runs
- 1.2 2. Highest score in World Cup chases:
- 1.3 3. Most number of runs in World Cup:
- 1.4 4. Two or more centuries against a team in World Cups:
- 1.5 5. Most runs in International Cricket:
- 1.6 6. First Century in any World Cup match Chase:
- 1.7 7. Most Runs scored at a particular venue in India:
- 1.8 8. 500+ runs at a venue:
- 1.9 9. 3rd Highest ODI Score at Pune:
- 1.10 10. Most World Cup Centuries for India:
- 1.11 11. 2nd Highest scoring Batsmen in ICC World Cup 2023:
- 1.12 12. The most number of ODI runs against Bangladesh:
- 1.13 13. Most number of Man of the Match awards in ODIs:
- 1.14 14. Approaching Towards Sachin Tendulkar’s Lifetime record:
- 1.15 15. Most number of runs in ICC Tournaments:
- 1.16 Popular Reactions from Celebrities about Virat Kohli’s 48th ODI hundred: King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023
- 1.17 King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023: Concluding facts
King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023: Interesting Facts and Stats to be known
Here are the interesting records Virat Kohli achieved with his 48th ODI century during the crucial moments of the ICC World Cup 2023:
1. Fastest Batsman to reach 26,000 runs
Virat Kohli becomes the fastest batsman to reach the milestone of 26,000 international runs in the 567th innings of his 511th international match against Bangladesh, surpassing the record of legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar’s record of achieving this milestone in the 600th innings against England in a Test Match during the year 2007.
Virat Kohli compared to other batsmen, reached this milestone within a shorter time with the interesting study as shown below in ascending order:
- Virat Kohli: 567th innings
- Sachin Tendulkar: 600th innings
- Ricky Ponting: 624th innings
- Kumar Sangakkara: 625th innings
Here is the breakdown of Virat Kohli’s 26,026 runs across 3 different formats which include 78 International hundreds and 135 international half-centuries:
- One Day Internationals(ODIs): 13342 runs
- Test Matches: 8676 runs
- T20Is: 4008 runs
2. Highest score in World Cup chases:
Virat Kohli’s innings of 103 runs from 97 balls, achieves his highest score in World Cup chases.
3. Most number of runs in World Cup:
Virat Kohli is the 4th highest-scoring Batsman in the World Cup with a record of 1286 runs following the records of :
- Sachin Tendulkar (INDIA): 2278 runs
- Ricky Ponting (AUSTRALIA): 1743 runs
- Kumar Sangakkara (SRI LANKA): 1532 runs
- Virat Kohli (INDIA): 1248 runs and continues to increase further in upcoming matches…
- Rohit Sharma (INDIA): 1243 runs and continues to increase further in upcoming matches…
- Brian Lara (WEST INDIES): 1225 runs
- Ab De Villers (SOUTH AFRICA): 1207 runs
It would be interesting to watch the contest between Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli’s total runs in upcoming matches of this tournament.
4. Two or more centuries against a team in World Cups:
Virat Kohli is the 4th Indian Batsman to achieve two or more centuries against a particular team (Bangladesh) in World Cups following the previous records of:
- Sachin Tendulkar: 2 centuries against Kenya
- Sourav Ganguly: 2 centuries against Kenya
- Rohit Sharma: 2 centuries against Bangladesh
5. Most runs in International Cricket:
Virat Kohli reached the milestone of achieving 26,026 runs in his international cricket career across all formats including Tests, ODIs, and T20Is.
It would be interesting to know Virat Kohli with 26,026 runs ranks in the 4th position on the list of most number of runs scored by any batsman in international cricket across all formats following the records of :
- Sachin Tendulkar: 34357 runs achieved in 664 matches
- Kumar Sangakkara: 28016 runs achieved in 594 matches
- Ricky Ponting: 27483 runs in 560 matches
- Virat Kohli: 26,026 runs in 511 matches and continues to increase in upcoming matches…
- Mahela Jayawardene: 25957 in 652 matches runs
6. First Century in any World Cup match Chase:
Virat Kohli achieved his 3rd ODI century in World Cups as well as the first hundred while chasing targets against the opponents.
7. Most Runs scored at a particular venue in India:
Virat Kohli scores the 2nd most runs at a particular venue ( at Pune on 19th October 2023) with 551 runs following his previous records and surpassing Sachin Tendulkar’s achievements including:
- Visakhapatnam: 587 runs by Virat Kohli
- Pune: 551 runs by Virat Kohli
- Bengaluru: 534 runs by Sachin Tendulkar
- Gwalior: 529 runs by Sachin Tendulkar
- Kolkata: 496 runs by Sachin Tendulkar
8. 500+ runs at a venue:
This is the 5th highest score for Virat Kohli at a particular venue achieving more than 500 runs based on his previous records such as:
- 800 runs at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Dhaka- Bangladesh
- 644 runs at R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo- Sri Lanka
- 587 runs at VDCA Cricket Stadium, Visakhapatnam, India
- 571 runs at Port of Spain, Trinidad
- 551 runs at Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium, Pune
9. 3rd Highest ODI Score at Pune:
Virat Kohli records his 3rd Highest ODI score at MCA stadium, Pune based on his previous records including:
- 122 runs from 105 balls against England in 2017.
- 107 runs from 119 balls against West Indies in 2018.
- Unbeaten Knock of 103 runs from 97 balls against Bangladesh in 2023.
- 66 runs from 79 balls against England in 2021.
- 61 runs from 85 balls against Australia in 2013
- 56 runs from 60 balls against England in 2021.
10. Most World Cup Centuries for India:
Virat Kohli is the 5th Batsman to score the most number of centuries for India in World Cups following the previous records of:
- Rohit Sharma: 7 centuries
- Sachin Tendulkar: 6 centuries
- Sourav Ganguly: 4 centuries
- Shikhar Dhawan: 3 centuries
- Virat Kohli: 3 centuries
11. 2nd Highest scoring Batsmen in ICC World Cup 2023:
Virat Kohli is the 2nd highest-scoring batsman for his team in ICC World Cup 2023 following the scores of different players in this tournament after the events of the IND vs BAN CWC 2023 match:
- Rohit Sharma (INDIAN Batsman ): 265 runs in just 4 matches
- Virat Kohli (INDIAN Batsman): 259 runs in just 4 matches
- Devon Conway (NEW ZEALAND Batsman): 249 runs in just 4 matches.
- Mohammad Rizwan (PAKISTAN Batsman): 248 runs in just 3 matches.
- Quinton De Kock (SOUTH AFRICAN Batsman): 229 runs in just 3 matches
12. The most number of ODI runs against Bangladesh:
Virat Kohli scored 910 runs in ODIs against Bangladesh in 16 innings with a strike rate of 101.78 and an average of 75.83.
13. Most number of Man of the Match awards in ODIs:
Virat Kohli ranks 3rd position in the list of players who have achieved the most number of “Man of the Match” awards in ODIs based on the previous records as shown below:
- Sachin Tendulkar (INDIA) – 62 Times
- Jayasuriya (SRI LANKA)– 48 Times
- Virat Kohli (INDIA) – 40 Times
- Jacques Kallis (SOUTH AFRICA) – 32 Times
- Ricky Ponting (AUSTRALIA) – 32 Times
- Shahid Afridi (PAKISTAN) – 32 Times
14. Approaching Towards Sachin Tendulkar’s Lifetime record:
Virat Kohli with 48 international ODI centuries is one-short than Sahin Tendulkar’s lifetime record of 49 international hundreds. With 5 upcoming matches in this tournament and an additional match in the semi-finals, if Team India qualifies for the knockout stages, Virat Kohli has a higher chance not only to equal the records of Master Blaster but also surpass the lifetime records of the legendary cricketer as well.
15. Most number of runs in ICC Tournaments:
Virat Kohli ranks first position in the list of players with the most runs in ICC Tournaments by surpassing the records of former West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle as shown below:
- Virat Kohli: 2,959 runs
- Chris Gayle: 2,942 runs
- Kumar Sangakkara: 2,876 runs
- Mahela Jayawardene: 2,858 runs
- Sachin Tendulkar: 2,719 runs
- Rohit Sharma: 2,687 runs
Here is the breakdown of Virat Kohli’s 2,959 runs in ICC Tournaments as shown below:
- ICC World Cup: 1,289 runs
- T20 World Cup: 1,141 runs
- Champions Trophy: 529 runs
Popular Reactions from Celebrities about Virat Kohli’s 48th ODI hundred: King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023
Here are the popular reactions from celebrities about Virat Kohli’s 48th ODI Hundred:
As Virat Kohli approaches closer to Sachin’s lifetime record, the former Indian cricketer Irfan Pathan praised Virat Kohli’s 48th ODI ton against Bangladesh by expressing his opinion that Sachin Tendulkar, as well as his fans, will be much happier than Kohli with the belief that it would be a proud moment if an Indian batsman has broken the records of legendary cricketers.
Former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag showered praises about Virat Kohli’s performance against Bangladesh by expressing that it was one of the best innings from the Chase Master and the entire Indian cricket team showed a perfect bonding.
Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar congratulated Virat Kohli on achieving his 48th ODI hundred and expressed his disappointment in missing the match of IND vs BAN CWC 2023.
Popular Bollywood actress and Virat Kohli’s wife Anushka Sharma praised for expressing her joyful moments about Virat Kohli’s performance and scoring his 1st ODI century of ICC World Cup 2023 as well as a century in World Cups after 8 years.
Bollywood star actor Ranveer Singh praised Virat Kohli’s fantastic performance against Bangladesh with the caption “The Closer, Closing the Debate” by sharing the moment of Virat Kohli kissing the bat after scoring his 48th ODI century.
King Kohli achieved new records in CWC 2023: Concluding facts
Cricket fans across the globe are desperate to watch the moments of Virat Kohli breaking Sachin Tendulkar’s record and with this consistent form, the star batsman targets to achieve many sensational records in the upcoming matches of ICC World Cup 2023…