The World Cup 2023 is filled with unexpected twists and turns with the most underrated teams defeating the top-performing teams. After the unexpected winning moments for Afghanistan against England, it’s time for another twist as the Netherlands won against South Africa on 17th October 2023. The shocking facts about South Africa’s loss and collapsing performance in SA vs NED CWC 2023 match will be discussed in detail…
Table of Contents
- 1 What was the playing XI for SA vs NED CWC 2023
- 2 South Africa Playing XI:
- 3 Netherlands Playing XI:
- 4 SA vs NED CWC 2023 match shocking highlights to know
- 5 Netherlands Batting:
- 6 South Africa Batting:
- 7 Decoding Netherlands score of 245-8 in 43 Overs: SA vs NED CWC 2023 shocking highlights
- 8 Decoding South Africa’s score of 207-10 in 42.5 Overs: SA vs NED CWC 2023 shocking highlights
- 9 Interesting Facts and Stats about SA vs NED CWC 2023
- 10 Sachin Tendulkar About Netherlands’ historic win over South Africa in World Cups
- 11 A memorable night for the Netherlands and a nightmare for the South Africa Cricket Team!
What was the playing XI for SA vs NED CWC 2023
South Africa Playing XI:
- Quinton de Kock: Batsman and Wicket-keeper
- Temba Bavuma (Captain): Batsman
- Rassie van der Dussen : Batsman
- Aiden Markram:Batsman
- Heinrich Klaasen : Batsman and Wicket-Keeper
- David Miller: Batsman
- Marco Jansen: All rounder
- Gerald Coetzee: Bowler
- Keshav Maharaj: Bowler
- Lungi Ngidi: Bowler
- Kagiso Rabada: Bowler
Netherlands Playing XI:
- Vikramjit Singh: Batsman
- Max ODowd: Batsman
- Colin Ackermann: All-rounder
- Bas de Leede: All-rounder
- Teja Nidamanuru: Batsman
- Scott Edwards(Captain): Batsman and Wicket-Keeper
- Sybrand Engelbrecht: All rounder
- Logan van Beek: All-rounder
- Roelof van der Merwe: All-rounder
- Aryan Dutt: Bowler
- Paul van Meekeren: Bowler
Here are the interesting observations made from the similarities and differences in the playing XI of both teams:
- The Netherlands included their all-rounder “Logan van Beek” in place of their bowler “Ryan Klein” in their playing XI, which was the only change compared to their team that played against New Zealand in this tournament. Similarly, South Africa replaced “Gerald Coetzee” in place of “Tabraiz Shamsi” in their playing XI compared to their previous match against Australia.
- South Africa included an alternative of 2 wicket-keepers whereas the Netherlands included a single wicket-keeper in their playing XI.
- South Africa included only 1 all-rounder whereas the Netherlands included 5 all-rounders in their playing XI.
SA vs NED CWC 2023 match shocking highlights to know
South African skipper Temba Bavuma decided to bowl first after winning the toss at Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dharamsala.
The match was reduced to 43 overs per side after experiencing severe rain for more than an hour at this venue.
Initially, South African bowlers completely dominated the Netherlands batsmen by taking the quick wickets of:
- Vikramjit Singh( 2 runs from 16 balls) at 22-1 in 6.1 overs.
- Max ODowd (18 runs from 25 balls- including 4 fours) at 24-2 in 7.1 overs.
- Bas de Leede( 2 runs from 7 balls) at 40-3 in 10.5 overs.
- Colin Ackermann( 13 runs from 25 balls- including 1 four) at 50-4 in 15.1 overs.
- Sybrand Engelbrecht( 19 runs from 37 balls- including 1 four and 1 six) at 82-5 in 20.2 overs.
- Teja Nidamanuru (20 runs from 25 balls- including 3 fours) at 112-6 in 26.6 overs.
Situations seemed to be favorable for South Africa as they grabbed wickets instantly to restrict the Netherlands. But, the fantastic knock from the Netherlands Skipper Scott Edwards (78 runs from 69 balls- including 10 fours and 1 six), guided his team to post a total of 245-8 in 43 overs.
Here are the bowling figures of South African Bowlers against the Netherlands:
- Lungi Ngidi: 57-2 in 9 overs( including 1 maiden over).
- Marco Jansen: 27-2 in 8 overs (including 1 maiden over).
- Kagiso Rabada: 56-2 in 9 overs (including 1 maiden over).
- Gerald Coetzee: 57-1 in 8 overs
- Keshav Maharaj: 38-1 in 9 overs.
South Africa Batting:
South Africa was hoping to chase down the target of 246 runs in 43 overs with their strong batting lineup, but the 2nd innings turned out to be completely different with an unpredictable twist for the South Africa cricket team as well as the audiences.
South Africa lost their opening batsman cum skipper Temba Bavuma (16 runs from 31 balls- including 2 fours and 1 six) at 36-1 in 7.6 overs.
Except for David Miller’s (43 runs from 52 balls- including 4 fours and 1 six) and Keshav Maharaj’s (40 runs from 37 balls- including 5 fours and 1 six) struggling performance against the Netherlands, none of the South African batsmen could make an impressive score.
South Africa was bowled out for 207-10 in 42.5 Overs and the Netherlands registered their massive win of 38 runs against South Africa. This was the first time the Netherlands had recorded a huge win against the best-performing teams.
Here are the bowling figures of the Netherlands Bowlers against South Africa:
- Logan van Beek: 60-3 in 8.5 overs.
- Paul van Meekeren: 40-2 in 9 overs.
- Roelof van der Merwe: 34-2 in 9 overs.
- Bas de Leede: 36-2 in 8 overs.
Here are the sequences of South Africa’s quick fall of wickets which resulted in a shocking defeat for the Proteas in ICC World Cup 2023 against Netherlands:
- Quinton de Kock( 20 runs from 22 balls- including 3 fours): At 36-1 in 7.6 overs.
- Temba Bavuma(16 runs from 31 balls- including 2 fours and 1 six): At 39-2 in 9.1 Overs.
- Aiden Markram( 1 run from 3 balls): At 42-3 in 10.2 Overs.
- Rassie van der Dussen( 4 runs from 7 balls): At 44-4 in 11.2 Overs.
- Heinrich Klaasen (28 runs from 28 balls- including 4 fours): At 89-5 in 18.5 Overs.
- Marco Jansen( 9 runs from 25 balls): At 109-6 in 24.6 Overs.
- David Miller(43 runs from 52 balls- including 4 fours and 1 six): At 145-7 in 30.6 Overs.
- Gerald Coetzee( 22 runs from 23 balls- including 2 fours and 1 six): At 147-8 in 33.1 Overs.
- Kagiso Rabada( 9 runs from 6 balls- including 1 six): At 166-9 in 35.1 Overs
- Keshav Maharaj (40 runs from 37 balls- including 5 fours and 1 six): At 207-10 in 42.5 Overs.
By observing the quickfall wickets of South Africa, it is clear that South Africa was struggling in the 12th over, with a score of just 44 runs for a 4-wicket loss.
South Africa was unable to maintain a proper partnership and succumbed to the Netherlands bowlers.
It was astonishing that South Africa defeated the 5-times defending champions- Australia, in this tournament, and surrendered themselves to the most underrated team- the Netherlands, despite having a strong batting line-up and the ability to chase targets against the opponents.
Decoding Netherlands score of 245-8 in 43 Overs: SA vs NED CWC 2023 shocking highlights
Let us decode Netherlands 1st innings score of 245-8 in 43 overs split into 10-over intervals:
- 0 to 10 overs: 28-2
- 10 to 20 overs: 53-2( Netherlands score at 20 overs: 81-4)
- 20 to 30 overs: 42-2( Netherlands score at 30 overs: 123-6)
- 30 to 40 overs: 81-2( Netherlands score at 40 overs: 204-8)
- 40 to 50 overs: 41-0(Netherlands score at 43 overs: 245-8)
From the above facts, it becomes evident that the Netherlands scored a maximum number of 81 runs by losing 2 wickets between 30 to 40 overs. Additionally, Netherlands scored 41 runs in the last 3 overs of the 1st innings without losing a wicket. At the same time, the Netherlands struggled during the start of the 1st innings by scoring a minimum number of 28 runs and losing 2 wickets during the first 10 overs of the powerplay.
Decoding South Africa’s score of 207-10 in 42.5 Overs: SA vs NED CWC 2023 shocking highlights
Let us decode South Africa’s 2nd innings score of 207-10 in 42.5 overs split into 10-over intervals:
- 0 to 10 overs: 41-2
- 10 to 20 overs: 52-3( South Africa’s score at 20 overs: 93-5)
- 20 to 30 overs: 48-1( South Africa’s score at 30 overs: 141-6)
- 30 to 40 overs: 43-3( South Africa’s score at 40 overs: 184-9)
- 40 to 50 overs: 23-1 (South Africa’s score at 42.5 overs: 207-10)
From the above facts, it is clear that South Africa scored a maximum number of 52 runs by losing the most number of 3 wickets between 10 to 20 overs. Also, South Africa lost another set of most number of 3 wickets between 30 to 40 overs.
Interesting Facts and Stats about SA vs NED CWC 2023
Here are the interesting facts and stats about SA vs NED CWC 2023:
- Scott Edwards scores the most number of half-centuries for the Netherlands in the World Cup.
- Scott Edwards is the 3rd Highest scoring Netherlands captain for his team in ODIs.
- This is the first time in the history of cricket, that the Netherlands has defeated a top-performing team like South Africa in a grand tournament like World Cups.
- The total of 207-10 is the lowest total for South Africa compared to their last 6 ODI matches.
- This is the 3rd win for the Netherlands in the history of World Cups, by beating a competitive team other than Zimbabwe and Ireland in ODIs.
- Netherlands Skipper Scott Edwards was granted the “Man of the Match” award for his game-changing performance of 78 runs from 69 balls against South Africa.
- Netherlands recorded their 2nd win in the ICC tournament against South Africa, following the events of ICC T20 World Cup 2022– the Netherlands beating South Africa by 13 runs on 6th November 2022.
Sachin Tendulkar About Netherlands’ historic win over South Africa in World Cups
After the match of SA vs NED CWC 2023, Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar praised the Netherlands cricket team for their exceptional victory in the ICC World Cup 2023 as well as their first win against South Africa in World Cups.
Additionally, Sachin Tendulkar appreciated Netherlands skipper Scott Edwards’s brilliant knock of 78 runs from 69 balls that helped his team post a total of 245-8 in 43 Overs.
Sachin Tendulkar expressed his feelings that this edition of the ICC World Cup is showing interesting results as the Dutch showed their best performance against the Proteas and this match would be remembered for a lifetime by the Netherlands cricket team.
The legendary cricketer highlighted that this victory will always have a historical significance for Dutch cricket, which marks an essential milestone in their international career.
Sachin Tendulkar was pleased to see the performance of the Netherlands bowlers and the way they pressurized the South African batsmen by not allowing them to take manageable singles.
A memorable night for the Netherlands and a nightmare for the South Africa Cricket Team!
South Africa would be aiming to overcome this embarrassing 38-run loss against the Netherlands by improving from their blunders and performing well in the next match against the defending champions “England” on 21st October 2023( Saturday) at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.
At the same time, England will be aiming to overcome their shocking defeat against Afghanistan in their previous match of this tournament. It would be interesting to watch which team makes a strong comeback after losing each match against the underrated teams in this tournament.
Following this victory, the Netherlands ascended to eighth position in the points table of ICC World Cup 2023. With this win, the Netherlands are set to play their next match with confidence and motivation against Sri Lanka on 21st October 2023 at Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow.